Saturday, October 24, 2015

Story telling

Another piece of the Waldorf process that I am learning about and trying to incorporate is story telling.  I differentiate this from reading stories aloud by the element of pictures.  Story telling encourages the children to see the story using his/her imagination.  I am using this book Tell Me A Story which is a compilation of stories made up by Waldorf teachers.  The stories deal with nature and character development.  They are short and easy to read.  I read 1 each day during the transition from recess back into the classroom.  The read aloud encourages the kids to quiet down, drink water and take a brief rest.  I was able to purchase the book on Amazon but could not find a copy in the library.
I don't spend a lot of time talking about the morals but simply let the students absorb them as they are able.  The morals are not always obvious but subtly encourage kindness and helpfulness.