Saturday, September 12, 2009

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by John Archembolt and Lois Ehlert is a popular first week of school/alphabet book and it is fun to retell the story though art. For years I have used this wonderful book and tried to get my kindergartners to trace and cut out their hand print during the first week of school. The result was, I spent a lot of time tracing student's hand for them and coaching the cutting process. I realized that there has got to be a better way to do this project without unrealistic expectations on the children's fine motor skills! After a bit of reflection I decided to try a new way of creating the leaves of the coconut tree. I already pre cut the trunks so that wasn't the issue and I want the children to practice cutting with a manageable project.
So, this is what we now do: Each child receives 2 small green square of paper for the 2 leaves.



The child then cuts the corners off the squares of paper. I demonstrate this first .

Then, if the child is feeling fancy they can add some "fronds" by cutting slits into the sides of the leaf. Viola! A simple and cool coconut leaf.







No comments: