Saturday, May 15, 2021

Confessions of a former laminator junkie

 I used to LOVE laminating!  I laminated whatever I could.  I thought the finished products looked professional and beautiful.  I even liked the smell of the laminator when it was hot and ready for use.



In my human journey I have learned a lot about the environmental impact of human created waste and toxins caused by plastic.  I have worked diligently to reduce the amount of waste I create.  I realized that any paper I laminated could no longer be recycled or composted.  All those carefully laminated displays and posters would eventually wind up in a landfill. Any special projects I sent home with my students would also, eventually end up in a landfill (maybe sooner than I was hoping when I laboriously laminated and and cut out my student's super special projects).   I also had to admit to myself that I spent a lot of my time laminating and cutting out laminated projects, time I would never get back.  I quit, cold turkey.  I still have laminated posters and classroom displays that I use but I don't create any new ones.  At the end of the school year, when teachers are cleaning out classrooms, I can't help but notice how many laminated items wind up in the garbage.  This strengthens my resolve and, honestly, I don't miss it.  If you love laminating, I challenge you to try to cut down on your laminating.  I promise it will make a difference.

No comments: