Monday, July 19, 2021

Camp/Camping Day

 Theme days are a fun way to break up the regular routine or celebrate the last week of school.  My goal was to create thematic outdoor stations that had novel activities and kept student engaged.  Here is the breakdown of my camp/camping theme day.

We made solar s'mores by wrapping graham crackers, gelatin free marshmallows and chocolate in aluminum foil.  The kids wrote their names on the flattest part of the foil with Sharpie markers (note, next time I do this I would double check these.  There was some confusion over names when it was time to pass out the s'mores)

Then we used my car windshield as a solar oven!  I have a windshield heat deflector that helped create the oven.  I put the s'mores on cookie sheets to help heat them and prevent any dripping onto my dashboard.  We let them "cook" for about 3 hours.  I did need a hot pad to get them out!  

Solar s'more cooker close up!  The kids loved that my car was our oven! As a bonus, my car smelled like chocolate for a day!

Several kids were so proud of their work, they wore their necklaces all week!


As part of the theme, kids could wear pajamas or comfy clothes for the day.  I had 2 high school volunteer counselors play cooperative board games with the kids.  



No camping experience would be complete without reading camp related books in a tent!


No comments: