Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Sensory Baskets

When I first began teaching first grade, after spending almost my entire career in Kindergarten, I had to grapple with the sudden lack of play and sensory experiences available to kids.  Teachers of young children understand the importance of play and how the process of manipulating small objects helps develop fine motor skills.  For some reason it seemed as though first graders were expected to be fully developed in those areas.  When COVID pushed us all to distance learning, Kindergarteners lost a third of their Kindergarten experience.  The minimal development of small motor skills in some kids became quickly apparent.  Adding that issue to the need for hands on activities during transitions and my personal desire to bring nature into the classroom, sensory baskets were born.  Here are a few of the types of baskets I have available in my classroom.
Mini log pieces of varying sizes.
 

Natural blocks and spools.


Wooden beads and string.

Wood blocs mimicking 3-D shapes.
Wooden stones (along with real stones, not pictured).



Seashells

I also have baskets of buttons, pinecones, glass stones and curved wooden pieces that mimic letter shapes form Handwriting Without Tears




 

No comments: