Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Adventure Packs

One of the greatest tools for outdoor learning and exploration is the adventure pack!
I first order enough fanny packs for the class.  I want these to be easily accessible and hands free.  I write the name of the student the pack belongs to on the top so that when they put the pack on they can easily tell which way is up!  I teach them to put the clasp in front of their body to put the pack on and twist it around so they can be independent with this task.
Each pack contains: a tweezers, a magnifying glass, a small notebook and a pencil or crayon. The cardboard tube is a spy eye to help look at details and the baggie is for collections of treasures.  
I introduce one tool at a time and they practice with it before taking it outside or adding other tools.  I have the rule that if you lose your tools you don't get another one.  This provides natural consequences and encourages caring for tools.

Collected treasures from outside (nothing living please!)

At the end of the year each child gets to take their adventure pack home.  Some report that they still have their pack years later!

 

No comments: