Saturday, May 29, 2021

Dying noodles for noodle necklaces




I think of dying noodles as one of the traditional teaching arts that predates the internet.  I like using dyed noodles because they are inexpensive and compostable.  To begin you will need the noodles you want to dye, rubbing alcohol, food coloring and a container that seals.  I like noodles that have big open ends for easy stringing.



First, add a tablespoon of rubbing alcohol to the container you are using.  I like to use a container with a lid rather than a plastic bag so I can store the noodles in the same container I used to dye them in and there is less chance the noodles will get crushed.


Next add desired colors.  I use about 10 drops of food coloring for the primary colors for a rich color.  I start with about 5 drops of each primary color when mixing orange and purple and then adjust the mix to get my desired result.


Next, add the noodles and put the lid on tight.  Start shaking!


Keep shaking until all the noodles are evenly coated with color.  The more you shake, the richer the color.

When you have achieved the desired color, leave the lid off the container and allow the noodles to dry overnight or longer.  The noodles my stick together but a good shake with loosen them.

Now the noodles are ready for use!


No comments: